Microwave Porcini and Asparagus Risotto
This is a foolproof way to whip up a tasty risotto with fresh asparagus.
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) Arborio rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 40g coarsely crumbled dried porcini mushrooms (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (see Tip)
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan
- Place rice, vegetable stock, water, porcini and half the oil in a microwave safe container with a firmly fitting lid. Cook on high for 17 minutes.
- Cut asparagus into approximately 3cm pieces. Add stalks to risotto and return to microwave, cover and cook on high for 1 minute. Add asparagus tips, cover and return to microwave on high for a final 2 minutes.
- Remove risotto from microwave. There should still be some liquid left, so allow risotto to stand for 5 minutes or so to complete the cooking and absorb the liquid.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil (or butter as per tip below), mix through and serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese. If it’s a bit dry, add some boiling water.
- Dried porcini mushrooms are available from specialty food stores and larger supermarkets.
- When cooking this risotto, factor in an extra 5 minutes standing time.
- To be more traditional, you can replace the olive oil with butter.
- For this recipe to be gluten free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
- Wine matches are Galli Estate Tempranillo and Grenache Mourvdre 2012.
Recipe provided by Lyndey Milan award-winning multi-media presenter, MC, speaker, food and wine teacher, consultant, debator, judge and regional Australian specialist with thanks to Selector Magazine and photographer Jon Bader.