Asparagus with Strawberries as a Salad
This simple dish of asparagus and strawberries as a salad looks special, tastes exquisite, and fits the bill perfectly for a light lunch.
- 350g mini asparagus (see Tip)
- 160g strawberries
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Wash asparagus and gently pat spears dry with paper toweling.
- Wash strawberries, pat them dry with paper toweling, and then remove the hulls and slice fruit into small segments.
- To cook asparagus, place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat and remove from the stove as soon as the water is simmering. Drain immediately and refresh with cold water (to stop the cooking and keep the spears vibrant green).
- To prepare dressing, whisk all ingredients together.
- Arrange asparagus on serving plates and scatter the strawberry segments over the top. Just before serving pour dressing over asparagus and strawberries and serve immediately.
- Liz’s recipe was inspired by a dish in Cooking with Asparagus by Lena Raab (Du Monte 2001).
- Mini asparagus spears are trimmed thin asparagus spears and are ready to use. If not available, use the top half of 1 bunch of thin asparagus spears and reserve the bottom half of the spears for other recipes.
- Use strawberry or other fruit vinegar if that’s what you have at hand. Champagne, wine and strawberry vinegar is also quite lovely.
- For this recipe to be gluten free, take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by Liz Posmyk best known for her blog, Good Things.