Bread crusted tartlets are like little hot sandwiches - lower in fat than pastry they are well suited for a healthy breakfast or a packed lunch.
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 slices bread
- 3 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 3 free range eggs, beaten
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 100g tasty cheese, grated
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- Pepper to taste
- Roasted red capsicum, cut into strips to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Brush muffin pans with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Using kitchen scissors, cut each slice of bread into a round. Press into muffin pans.
- Cut 6 cm tips from asparagus, brush with rest of oil and reserve. Slice asparagus stalks thinly.
- Combine eggs, feta and tasty cheese with sliced asparagus stalks, spring onions and pepper. Spoon mixture into bread cases. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Arrange reserved asparagus tips on tartlets. Bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve topped with red capsicum strips (if using).
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.