Asparagus and Sweet Corn Fritters
Whip up plenty of these tasty fritters as leftovers are perfect for the breakfast or lunch the next day. They are also great for packing into lunchboxes and picnic hampers.
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels (equivalent 1 sweet corn cob)
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 3 free range eggs
- 3/4 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup SR flour
- Salt flakes and pepper
- Cayenne pepper for a touch of heat (see Tip)
- Tomato relish or roasted truss tomatoes
- Crispy bacon or grilled haloumi cheese
- Fresh herbs
- Place asparagus, sweet corn, spring onions, eggs, cheese and milk in bowl and combine. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and cayenne pepper (or sweet paprika), taking care not to over mix.
- Pre heat frying pan and brush with a little butter or oil or a mixture of both. Cook 1/4 cupfuls of mixture at a time until bubbles start to rise on surface, 2-3 minutes. Turn fritters over and cook on second side until golden brown and cooked through, about 1 minute. You may need to cook 2-3 batches according to the size of your frying pan. If so, keep cooked fritters warm while cooking the rest of mixture.
- Serve at once with a tasty sauce or relish and crispy bacon (or grilled haloumi) and fresh herbs.
- If cooking for kids, use sweet paprika instead of cayenne pepper.
- This recipe was inspired by Janelle Bloom, who serves her corn and asparagus fritters with a yoghurt and mint dressing.
- Also yummy served in a bun spread with mashed avocado, sliced tomato and shredded lettuce as a healthy veggie burger.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.