Asparagus Pickers & Packers Needed!
Australian Asparagus Council growers - located in the Koo Wee Rup, Dalmore and Bairnsdale areas - are keen to find hardworking reliable workers to join their teams for the asparagus harvest season.
September to March
There are usually vacancies each season for both cutters and workers for the packing sheds. Picking asparagus is hard, manual work - but hard working reliable pickers can earn good money.
Workers need to be available for 7 days a week when required.
Cutters need to start at daybreak but are usually finished by 12.00 noon.
Workers in the packing sheds are generally needed between 7.30 am and 4.30 pm and beyond if required.
Snapshot of the Australian Asparagus Council and the industry
- The Australian Asparagus Council is made up of 46 grower members in the Koo Wee Rup, Dalmore and Bairnsdale regions.
- Over 95% of Australia’s fresh asparagus is grown in this area.
- Approximately 3,000 acres of asparagus is grown in the region.
- Asparagus is a very fast growing crop - in ideal conditions, it can grow 1 cm per hour and requires daily cutting!
- Australian Asparagus Council growers work together to maintain best practice in growing and marketing the quality fresh asparagus the region is renowned for.
- Scientific studies have found that the asparagus grown in the region has been found to be 100% clean, green and safe.
- Fresh Australian asparagus has long been prized on the export market and has now become a popular every day vegetable with Australian families .